[linux-dvb] Re: V4 API proposal

Hi Marcus und Johannes,

Marcus Metzler wrote:

> Johannes Stezenbach writes:
>  > same as for A/V PES (the PSD even is in PES format). Also,
> if I'm not
>  > mistaken (plese correct me if I'm wrong), the MPEG-2 PS
> syntax is the
>  > same as the MPEG-1 System Stream syntax, so there are no additional
>  > requirements for the demux to process MPEG-1.
>
> Unfortunately, you are wrong. MPEG-1 PES are quite different from
> MPEG-2 PES starting with the 7th byte. The MPEG-2 PES structure is
> much nicer. You need a different demux for that or one demux for both
> which can handle the difference. It depends on your hardware. Some
> hardware understands PES, other only handles the ES. E.g.
> Margi, em8400 and
> av7110 can't handle it, so that you have to handle PTS/DTS extraction
> depending on MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.

First i think that the difference of MPEG-1 and 2 system streams
do not need a special reflection on the interface.
Second i'm not sure if we need to support mpeg-1 systems.
DVD does not use it , broadcaters do not use it.
Maybe we put it in the the spec but implement it with lowest
priotity on demand.
For this we need the support interface.

Regards,

thomas