[linux-dvb] Re: V4 API proposal

Haber, Thomas wrote:

> First i think that the difference of MPEG-1 and 2 system streams
> do not need a special reflection on the interface.

That's true, fortunately. Applications and/or the MPEG decoder
must explicitely support MPEG-1, but the demux API can
be the same for both MPEG-2 PS and MPEG-1 system streams.

OTOH, I think there's no need to support MPEG-1 (or MPEG-2 PS)
in the software demux. If you have a hw MPEG-1 decoder, the hw
will have MPEG-1 demux capabilites; if not, if does not make
sense to pass data into the kernel for demuxing.

> Second i'm not sure if we need to support mpeg-1 systems.
> DVD does not use it , broadcaters do not use it.

If you want the DVD(tm) logo on your box you must support VCD
(correct me if I'm wrong, but I think backwards compatibility is
part of the DVD spec; also the MPEG2 spec says: "The Program Stream of
this Recommendation | International Standard is defined to be forward
compatible with ISO/IEC 11172-1. Decoders of the Program Stream as
defined in this Recommendation | International Standard shall also
support decoding of ISO/IEC 11172-1.")

Johannes