[linux-dvb] Re: Erroneous unsupported PLL synthesizer: foundit!!

Andrew de Quincey wrote:
On Friday 14 March 2003 18:35, Ralph Metzler wrote:

Andrew de Quincey writes:
> Hi, I've found the problem. It seems to be the same one as mentioned in
> "dvb-kernel and alps_bsru6 not tuning" from Matt Davis on Mon, 03 Feb
> 2003.
>
> Basically, sending both i2c commands at the same time means the stv0299
> bus repeater does not have enough time (the i2c device returns BUSY 'cos
> it hasn't finished with the first message). Adopting the same solution
> (breaking all the double-i2c PLL writes up into two single ones) makes
> the PLL work again.

Well, I did ask you yesterday if PLL writes are done in one transfer
or two in the driver you are using.

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure what you meant. In hindsight, of course, it all makes sense now :)

Anyway, shall I just patch it in for my PLL chip in particular, or just change all the PLL code to use seperate i2c transmissions?
No. The right fix for this problem is to insert real delays (preferably ddelay() calls of the average length of one or two i2c messages) in the retry loop in the saa-i2c driver. Otherwise you'll get into these problems again when you buy your next, faster PC.

Would you be willing to implement this and send a patch?

Holger