[linux-dvb] Re: no frontend0 dev after dvb-kernel module reload

Andrew de Quincey wrote:
On Saturday 15 March 2003 17:14, Simeon Walker wrote:

Hi,
 recently I have tried out the dvb-kernel drivers from cvs as of
12-03-2003.
I am using kernel 2.4.20 (with devfs) and a Nova-T 'budget' PCI card
(grundig_29504-401 frontend).

The first time the modules are loaded after a reboot everyhing works fine.
If I unload the modules and load them again (using the insmod.sh script)
then everything appears to load but no /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 device
is created (the others are).

Is this a known problem?

Yeah, the frontend becomes powered down during the unload/reload. The current detection code does not detect the frontend once this has occurred.

I did submit a patch for this a few months back, but unfortunately, nothing has happened with it, perhaps because the code necessary to re-detect it when it is powered down is quite nasty.
Your patch does basically the right thing, but I'd like some code that's a bit easier to read. Unfortunally I did not had the time yet to clean this up.

A neater solution would just be to disable the code which powers the frontend down.
Hmm, DVB-T demodulators are usually pretty power hungry, your frontend will live longer when you power it down in case you don't need it...

Holger