[linux-dvb] Re: A/V sync problems with new drivers

Juri Haberland wrote:
> Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > Juri Haberland wrote:
> >> With the new drivers 1.0.0-rc1 and -rc2 I experience desync of a/v
> >> in VDR after viewing a recording (also on other occasions; viewing
> >> a recording is just an easy way to reproduce. Sometimes it needs
> >> just a short disturbance in the receiption to get out of sync.).
> >> This does not happen with a driver from CVS as of 13. January.
> >> This is very reproducable. It affects all programs on the same
> >> frequency (I use DVB-T) but vanishes, if I switch to a channel on
> >> another frequency. This happens also, if I use the old firmware
> >> (from the 13-01 driver) with the new driver, so it seems to be not
> >> a problem of the new firmware.
> >
> > I also noticed a/v sync problems once or twice but I cannot
> > reproduce it. On http://www.linuxdvb.tv/download/ there are daily
> > snapshots of the driver. Could you please try to find out the
> > *precise* date when this bug was introduced? If you could report
> > this date I will check what has been changed...
>
> Ok, did that and found out, that I made a mistake while initially
> testing old vs. new firmware (I didn't rebuild the driver) as the
> problem started with the driver from 11feb03. The only real change in
> this one vs. 11feb was the inclusion of the new firmware.
>
> So, the problem is in the new firmware. I can successfully use the
> current (from tonight) CVS with the old firmware (*-icam). If I use
> the new firmware I get reliably A/V desync.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what I suspected (see my posts on the vdr
mailing list). As I don't have access to the firmware sources, there is
nothing I can do. :-(  We have to wait until a firmware developer finds
the time to fix it.

Perhaps I should mention another problem which might be related to this
and occurres more often (for me):
Occasionally, either audio or video is missing when I try to watch ARD
on Astra (PIDs 101/102). Tuning to another channel and switching back
does never help. When this problem occurres, (all?) other channels
which use the same PID values show the same problem, i.e. it appears to
be PID-related. This happened after doing some vdr recordings on SAT.1
and Pro-7 (don't know whether this is important).
Reloading the driver is the only way to fix this...

Oliver