[linux-dvb] Re: DVB Driver & Porting

> Since some moment I think about crazy idea about transfering Linux DVB
> software into Windows. Last week I started some experiments with Cygwin
Isn't "multidec" just that? The source seems to include a
port of the Linux DVB device driver. (I've never used it,
just glanced at the source.)
No. It is different. WinSTB not based on particular hardware or firmware.
Currently for SS1 TechnoTrend SDK used but it does not matter
becouse I have no idea about porting firmware from Linux.
WinSTB code use functions that are not hardware specific. For instance
OSD functions work with Hardware for SS1 but for Budget DVB Cards
OSD created on screen using software.
So if everything will work fine then vdr will work with budget DVBCard
(SS2,TwinHan,PCTVSat) like with SS1.

> Of course it is realy hard to port hardware specific code to Windows
> but it is realy not needed becouse all this stuff is done using native
> Windows drivers.
Well apparently the multidec people thought it was worth doing.
I think that original idea of porting of firmware by Multidec people
was usage of CSA-decoder... 8)
But not sure about that...

Maybe the original driver is not very good?
Yes. OSD code of TechnoTrend driver is very unstable ... 8(