[linux-dvb] Re: RFC: patch for support of volume control on DVB-C+analogue-module

On Thursday 24 April 2003 12:04, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:24:00PM +0200, Andreas Kool wrote:

> > > You cannot control ac3 volume without having an ac3 decoder on board
> > > (assuming that your card does not have one). Maybe you can control pcm
> > > audio when using the digital out, but I don't know that audio chip.
> >
> > The AC3overDVB-Patch does generate pcm (with encapsulated ac3).
> > So it *is* maybe possible! Fine!
>
> No, you have to get the AC3 data out of the surrounding PCM stream
> used for tranport (beside a few magic samples all is zero). Any
> change of the AC3 data frame embedded in the 1536 sample PCM frame
> (6144 Bytes) would break the AC3 data frame.

Ok, accepted, thanks!
Then i can give up with this.

> Nevertheless your A/V receiver should be able to control the
> volume _after_ the builtin decoder.

Yes, shure, but that way i have 2 remote controls in my living room :-(

>         Werner

Ciao,
Andreas
--
Andreas Kool (akool<nospam>@</nospam>akool.de * http://www.akool.de)
PGP: 3FBF2411 Fingerprint: B5 35 34 74 25 60 2A 7A  89 06 92 C4 08 BA A5 BD

Transmission of this message via the Microsoft Network is prohibited