[linux-dvb] Re: dec2000-t success

Franck Arnaud wrote:

Also how successful is USB at achieving nominal rates in practice, especially when there are multiple devices?

I don't know about multiple devices, but even if isochronous transfers have many disadvantages (they consume the given percentage of bandwith, regardless if it's used or not - stuffing is used when the datarate is lower), one clear advantage is that you REALLY have nearly that 80% of 11Mbit available. My experiements with the ttusb-nova showed that a single, normal, SDTV DVB channel uses about 50% of the bandwith available to the device (was set to 80%). Streaming VIVA (highest bitrate on astra i know of) into wingrab worked MUCH MUCH better than, for example, on the dbox2 (using network). I only got one glitch in a whole evening, and that maybe was the fault of Wingrab, or maybe a bug in the driver, or maybe a bird flying in front of the dish :)

I really did expect more overhead, and honestly never trusted in USB that much.
(but i did only a small estimation based on the number of stuffing packets coming in, no reallife values)

felix