[linux-dvb] Re: problems with Nova-T card in UK with new DVB driver

At 22:45 28/04/2003, you wrote:
>Using the
>linux-dvb.2003-04-27 DVB driver from the VDR Developer FTP site + VDR
>1.1.29 (similarly for some earlier versions of VDR and earlier
>NEWSTRUCT drivers) gives the following behaviour using a Nova-T card
>in the UK:
>* tuning into BBC1 works well
* tuning into BBC2, BBC3 and BBC NEWS24 (on the same multiplex)
  rarely locks on
BBC1 always works, changing to BBC2 or News 24 afterwards shouldn't require it to lock the frequency again as they are on the same multiplex. It merely has to change the PIDs - but it seems to have problems with those two channels somehow. I'm not sure whether this is a driver newstruct prob or a vdr problem. It doesn't appear to be related to transfer mode either, as people with full cards have reported the same problem. I believe to have heard that people with dxr3 cards also have this issue - this would mean it's unlikely to be a av7110 problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's quite freaky that BBC1 *always* works but the other two or three channels on the mux don't. BBC1 has PIDs 600:601, BBC2 610:611, BBC 3 has 620:621 and News 24 640:641. It makes no sense to me why BBC1 would work and the others wouldn't.

I've tried tracing this a couple of times: What happens here is that the DVB-T card tunes just fine and also seems to set the PID correctly and recieves data. In fact, when the error crops up, it usually outputs a couple of seconds of sound as well before it stops but never a picture. What actually appears to happens is that decoder doesn't seem to like the input anymore after a very short time and doesn't stops reading the the buffer. The buffer then goes to 100% and nothing happens. I might be imagining this but increasing the buffer to redicilous high values such as 50 MB seems to give a higher success-rate at getting working picture / sound output.

Disabling audio by setting its PID to 0 doesn't doesn't do the trick either. Setting just the audio PID and not the video PID works fine though - it then outputs the audio for as long as I wish.

>* other channels usually work well, though I've seem some odd
  behaviour after VDR has difficulty locking onto a BBC multiplex
yes true. Sporadically Channel 4 and some of the "worthless" travel and shopping channels don't show a picture.

Any clues as to what I should try next?  Are other people having
similar problems?
Yes, same problems. Just like you I'm using vdr 1.1.13 with the 0.9.4 version of the driver as my "stable" solution. 1.1.13 is one of the last to support the old driver model but one of the first to support the extended settings required for DVB-T in channels.conf. 1.1.13 / 0.9.4 has very sporadic problems tuning to Channel 4, but it usually works the second time.

Maybe this problem has something to do with the new PCR stuff, but then again that only seemed to be a problem with recent firmwares and this is not a firmware issue, as newstruct and old firmware doesn't cure the problem. Moreover the problem has been there ever since the very first newstruct driver in CVS but worked with the last "oldstruct" in CVS. The tuning code didn't change much.

I'm never sure whether to discuss this on linux-dvb or the vdr list but as you started the thread here I might as well continue posting here.