[linux-dvb] Re: problems with Nova-T card in UK with new DVB driver

At 18:54 30/04/2003, you wrote:
They are, but AIUI BBC1 uses a fixed bandwidth whereas  the others are use
statmux (I think that's the term).

BBC1 is fixed in order that regional variations in programming can be
broadcast, whereas the others are identical across the country and a channel
momentarily requiring more bandwith than the others can be given it at the
expense of the bandwidth of the others.

I can't see how this might affect the lock, but it's possible I guess.
Very good pointer. Assuming statmux applies to Channel 4 and some of the Travel / Shopping channels this would explain the sporadic problems with those as well. Is statmux something that is only used for DVB-T and not commonly used for DVB-s? Maybe if the bitrate changes while it's trying to feed the first couple of seconds it dies. Strange then why 0.9.4 works so well. However even with that driver Channel 4 shows the behaviour from time to time. Maybe we should really have a look at the new PCR stuff, as this seems to come up in threads related to statistical multiplexing. Someone in the UK has worked out the values I believe? Would be nice if could have those posted to the list.

Moreover does anyone happen to know whether DVB-T in Berlin and Finnland have a completely fixed bitrate on all muxed. This would support the theory, as I haven't heard of any tuning problems with new drivers from there yet.