[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-T crashes Mandrake 9.1

Hi Philip,

Philip Armstrong wrote:
Linux is perfectly capable of supporting irq sharing. A cursory glance
at /proc/interrupts on my machine reveals that the interrupt for my
dvb nova-t card is shared with both my ethernet card and my wireless
ethernet card for a start.
So this would seem to indicate that the IRQ-sharing culprit is not the DVB driver, otherwise you would be having problems. Is that a fair conclusion? If so, it suggests the culprit must be the driver for eth0, the other item sharing this interrupt. This is an onboard Gigabit ethernet port, using the e1000 driver.

On the other hand, if you look in the archives for a message from me on the "dvbtune / Nova-T unable to lock on frequency problems" thread dated 15/04/03, you will see that the Nova-T was sharing interrupt 21 with eth0 when I was playing with this previously, and I never experienced irq loops and eventually got it working. So maybe this is a red herring.

However, it may be that for some reason your hardware isn't being
setup correctly in this case, or it may be a driver bug which shows up
only with shared interrupts -- failing to clear an irq after you've
handled it for instance works ok unless you're sharing the interrupt
in which case it'll cause lockups on the spot (iirc). Any of the
drivers which handle the hardware on the shared interrupt could be
responsible for this problem.
As above, the same drivers were sharing the same irq previously, and not having problems, so I guess it isn't this.

Also, you don't actually say which motherboard you have, but it seems
to have an awful lot of unrecognised hardware; I'd have a look on the
linux-kernel mailing list to see if there are any reports of problems
there.
It's a Gigabyte GA-8PE667 Ultra2. I don't see any unrecognised hardware - only unknown subsystems for the onboard gear. On the face of it, it seems like an excellent board, and was running very happily until the DVB problems. It's based on the Intel 845PE chipset, with 1 AGP and 6 PCI slots. It has support for 4 IDE channels (2 on the Intel chipset, 2 on a Promise PDC20276 controller, that also provides RAID support, which I am not using), and 2 SATA ports, also with RAID support. It has onboard Gigabit ethernet, using the Intel Kenai-32 chipset. You can get most of the rest of the features from the output of lspci in my previous message - basically this board seems to have everything but the kitchen sink. But as I have mentioned previously, this board was running fine until I tried DVB the other day, so I don't think it is anything intrinsically wrong with the board.

Oh, and Mandrake 9.1 is using some hacked up prerelease of the
2.4.21 kernel. I doubt it's been well tested on the kind of server
hardware you're using -- Mandrake are not known for their server-side
support afaik -- they seem to concentrate mostly on the end-user
gui experience.
I would say that's harsh. Agreed, Mandrake do not focus on the Enterprise market like RedHat and SuSE, but they are not as desktop-focussed as (say) Lindows, Xandros or Lycoris. One of the reasons I like Mandrake is that they have historically found a happier middle line (IMHO) than other distros in support for server and desktop features. If they were desktop-focussed, would they be producing Enterprise kernels, firewalling versions of their distro (the MNF) and developing features such as drakTermServ, a very promising system to setup a Mandrake server to provide Terminal Server facilities to Mandrake clients?

You may be right about the 2.4.21 pre-release kernel, but my understanding is that the Mandrake-patched kernel versions were intended to be equivalent to (though undoubtedly inferior in practice) an -ac-patched kernel. And in my experience, you are better with an -ac-patched kernel, either pre- or post-release, than with the vanilla version. There may be problems with the Mandrake 9.1 kernel, but it's the same kernel version I was using when I got DVB working previously (see the message to this list of 15/04 quoted previously). This is a fresh install of Mandrake 9.1, and also a newly-compiled kernel, but it was working on the previous Mandrake 9.1 install, so the problem does not lie intrinsically with the Mandrake-patched kernel source. It might, on the other hand, lie with my choice of options to compile into the kernel (I have to use a recompiled kernel to get the PDC20276 to work).

One thing which did spring to mind after looking at your logs was that
you could try booting with noapic to turn off apic support; if it's
the interrupt routing which is being mishandled then turning off the
apic support might help.
This is an excellent idea. I always used to add this to my bootparams (it seems, along with acpi=off and ide=nodma in extremis, to solve a whole host of Mandrake problems), but I have been trying without on the server, to see if it was still required. Until now, I didn't seem to need it - everything was working fine. I have no idea what the APIC does, but if you say it is related to IRQ issues, then this sounds like a good bet. I'll give it a go (and cross my fingers, because everytime I have to hard reset this machine, I have to resync 360Gb of RAID arrays, which is pretty tedious).

Thanks for your help. It was very informative.

Cheers,

Bruno Prior