[linux-dvb] Re: Receiving high resolution weather satellite picturesfrom HotBird

hugo.van.ruyskensvelde@easynet.be wrote:
Hi,

As you all probably know by now, one of the power amplifiers of the dissemination transponder of the digital weather satellite MSG-1 did not work. As a result dissemination of the weather satellite pictures is done via the HotBird ( see www.eumetsat.de ).
Are there any efforts done in the Linux community to receive those pictures with the linux dvb driver ? See http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wxsat/atovs/index.html for info on windows receiving systems.
The DVB part should not be too hard -- after looking on the screen shots I suppose they transmit the data using multicast TCP over DVB, so you only have to set up a network connection using the dvbnet utility and then process the received data...

Do you know what data format they use? Their presentation is talking about JPEG and a wavelet compression scheme but is not clear to me. Probably they also have some side information describing positional information of the scanning satellite...

Holger