[linux-dvb] Re: vbv delay/buffer overflows on VBR statmux

At 18:08 21/05/2003, we wrote:
Table 14: Video Input Buffer (theoretical + decoder delay +
 > display synchronization = 229,376 + 52,000 + 75,000)
 > which is surprisingly close to 230 k as "theoretical" input. Maybe this
 > also explained why higher vbv_delay (i.e. no delay by setting 0xffff) had
 > an effect freeing some memory?

Maybe.
Some numbers in the RTSL include files also are different to the ones
in the TI datasheet. Without more knowledge about the microcode one
can only speculate.
Section 7.7.2 says something about the MPEG standard:
The video input buffer, which is located in the SDRAM, is made up of three components: a theoretical rate control buffer whose size is specified in the MPEG-2 video standard (229,376 bytes); a buffer space to compensate for the decoder delay (52,000 bytes); and additional storage space to synchronize
the video decoder timing with that of the NTSC/PAL encoder Vsync timing (75,000 bytes).

Could that be why 230 k works fine or is this not the video memory?
Moreover there seems to be seperate memory for I-/P-/B-FRAME of up to 500 k each, I'm not quite sure what the vid memory does beyond holding the frames - things like timing info -- but then so much?