[linux-dvb] Re: grr.. Any DVB-T adaptors which work reliably?

Edward Wildgoose wrote:

>> When I say, I have no crashes, I mean ARM crashes. I do have the
>> occassional frontend lockups where you cannot tune to any channel anymore
>> though. In these case you can still view the OSD or replay MPEG streams.
>> Just tuning stops working.
>
> Erm, yes I am running it under linux as well.  Where are you getting the new
> firmware from though if not from the windows driver?  I wasn't aware that it
> was distributed any other way?

I'm talking about the (closed source, but Convergence has it) firmware
that is distributed with the Linux driver. You mean the little extra
firmware that one has to get out of the Windows driver (Sc_main.mc),
where Convergence doesn't has the source.

> I think I am confused about arm vs other crashes.  My symptoms are that
> tuning stops working, ie tzap stops doing anything, blank picture in vdr,
> nothing can be read from /dev/dvb.../ - So basically nothing is coming out
> of the card as far as I can tell.  I haven't tried replaying mpeg streams,
> but yes, OSD still works in this circumstance.

So it is most likely the same problem I'm facing - but this isn't the
crash I'm talking about. Older firmware distributed with the Linux driver
sometimes made the ARM (the video processor/whatever AV7110) crash, so
that that it didn't handle anything. This happened regardless of the DVB
type (S, C or T).
The problem that we are talking about seems to be specific to DVB-T -
maybe specific to only this special card/tuner type.

This should be checked.

Anyone else seeing this tuning lockup with a DVB-T and doesn't have a
ALPS TDLB7 tuner? (Maybe we should ask this in a seperate thread?)

It might be a problem with just this extra firmware from the Windows
driver. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of this buggy card (see the
vertical lines on the composite out...)

Cheers,
Juri