[linux-dvb] FYI: Philips response to the Linux community

Robert Schlabbach writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > since Philips has been so unwilling to help out the Linux community with
 > data sheets, I had sent them a request to clarify their position on Linux.
 > Today, I got a response pointing me to this:
 >
 > http://www.newscenter.philips.com/InformationCenter/NewsCenter/FPressRelease.asp?lArticleId=2919
 >
 > I'm not sure if this will really help any, but you might take a look at:
 >
 > http://www.celinuxforum.org/
 >
 > and see what it's about (I haven't really figured it out yet)

Hmm, yet another try to make standards for Linux consumer devices?
At least from their membership agreement document it sounds
like they want to make everything really open (as in open source,
not open tv). "Member input" is supposed to come from public domain
or open source licensed material and should not be covered by patents.
But unless you become a "special supporting member" it seems it
will cost at least $4000 a year for membership.

And it does not say anywhere that you will get all the Philips
tuner data sheets you want :-(

Ralph