[linux-dvb] Re: FYI: Philips response to the Linux community

From: "Ralph Metzler" <rjkm@metzlerbros.de>
> At least from their membership agreement document it sounds
> like they want to make everything really open (as in open source,
> not open tv). "Member input" is supposed to come from public domain
> or open source licensed material and should not be covered by patents.

I'm getting the impression that this is a bunch of companies making a list
of "demands" to the Linux community a la: "Make Linux like this so that it
meets our requirements and we can make big bucks out of it.", i.e. about
them *GETTING* something from the community, but not about *GIVING*
anything but a list of requirements...

IMHO, with that attitude, they should continue to work with Microsoft...
(Who will make up requirements of their own, unless the hardware vendors
pay $$$$$$$ to them, which is apparently the money they want to save at the
expense of free software developers - disgusting!).

> And it does not say anywhere that you will get all the Philips
> tuner data sheets you want :-(

I don't think they even thought one second about that... :(

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach
e-mail: robert_s@gmx.net