[linux-dvb] Re: DVB Feature Wishlist

Robert Schlabbach writes:
 > From: "Holger Waechtler" <holger@convergence.de>
 > > just a side note: there have been rumors that TT bought all remaining
 > > av711x chips and the IP rights, no idea if it's true, but this fact
 > > might explain why they're using this beast again and again. Quality is
 > > not always the ultimate decision criteria, sometimes design decisions
 > > are just dictated by wrong management decisions in the past...
 >
 > While we're at it, does anyone know what the "TMS320AV7200" is? I found
 > this chip name on some web pages and wonder what it is. Did TI develop this
 > chip before they dropped it in 1998? Or did some other company develop it?
 > How does it compare to the AV711x?

The AV7200 is the successor of the AV711x.

A box with AV72xx developed by Convergence was publically
announced by Galaxis over 2 years ago.
I don't know what became of it.

Google shows that others are also working on Linux for it:

http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2003-April/014857.html

Watch out, the Hitachi AV7200 seems to be a shaver ...

Ralph