[linux-dvb] AW: Re: Total freezes

Hi there.

> > Hm, is it *always* the 2G limit  (-> possible pointer arithmetic bug),
> > or do the sizes vary?
> Thanks, Johannes
>
> Experiment has shown that it is approximate, sometimes lots more
> sometimes lots less.

I bought a new mainboard and now I've the same problem.

My hardware:
Asus P4s533, Celeron 2GHz
1 DVB-s rev. 1.3
1 DVB-s NOVA

Kernel 2.4.20

The system is running fine if only the DVB-s is inserted.
If I want to use my NOVA card the system crashes in < 1 hour (most time < 10
minutes)

I tried:
- different PCI slots
- use ONLY the nova-card
- don't start VDR -> the system seems to stay stable if nothing access the
card
- then I started the "scan" utility -> crash after ~ 1 minute

Result: I think my card got broken.

> However, adding "noapic" to the lilo command line along with the
> watchdog option produced a very slow but completely (over 4 hours of TV
> modules installed and running) machine.

You give me some hope: I'll try that today

Roland

p.s. I sometimes got a Kernel Bug in slab.c as 1128 when I load the driver.