[linux-dvb] Re: Technotrend DVB-T 1.2 recommended for UK?

--On den 7 juli 2003 15:06 +0200 Juri Haberland <juri@koschikode.com> wrote:

But: it has obviously some design flaw that leads to vertical lines on
the composite out (at least seen by me and another person).
Do you really have vertical lines on the composite out?
I have horizontal lines traveling down over the screen, about 4
of them can be seen at any time. On the tv last in my antenna
chain, on the other hand, I have some 30 vertical/diagonal lines,
_if_ I let the signal go trough the DVB-T card. I don't know if
these two problems are related.

Also the
tuner (or frontend or whatever?) locks up often, so that you cannot tune.
It is not quite clear whether this can be resolved by the driver
developers or if this bug is in a closed source binary that has to be
taken from the Windows drivers.
It might be that the SP8870 problems are SP8870 hardware/firmware
bugs, but the lines on composite out I think are just because of
some hardware bug on the DVB-T 1.2 card, since they don't seem
to be there on the DVB-C or DVB-S.
There must be a way to fix this, and maybe the SP8870 would
then have an easier life too.
It is probably some grounding of the wrong pin, a missing
decoupling or something like that.

(Also see earlier postings from me on spikes on the IF line
from the tuner to the SP8870, and what I think seems to be
a bad tuner voltage source, both problems on both my first
and my replacement card.)

Actually I cannot recommend to buy this card.
Me neither, not until someone has found and fixed the hardware
problems at least.