[linux-dvb] Re: kernel-dvb and tvtime

Hello Billy,

  It sounds like the driver is giving bottom-field-first frames instead
of top-field-first.
To be honest: it's undefined, if you specify V4L2_FIELD_INTERLACED or V4L2_FIELD_ANY. But it's possible that I screwed up somewhere within my capture engine.

  In the V4L2 spec it says something about "PAL interlaced is bff" but I
didn't believe it (it doesn't make logical sense to me to change it for
PAL).
Sounds bogus to me, too.

  So, um, what's the deal?  If you do give bff frames, do you indicate
that somewhere?
No, not currently. My driver supports currently

V4L2_FIELD_TOP
V4L2_FIELD_BOTTOM
V4L2_FIELD_INTERLACED
V4L2_FIELD_ALTERNATE

TOP and BOTTOM are useless for you, because the other field is lost.
When using interlaced, the field order is undefined.

Please have a look at http://bytesex.org/v4l/spec/x3565.html.

I think that capturing fields into separate buffers with V4L2_FIELD_ALTERNATE is the best for you, is it?

  -Billy
CU
Michael.