From:   Paul Andreassen [mailto:p@andreassen.com.au]
Sent:   Sat 7/19/2003 7:48 PM
To:     Brian Korsedal
Cc:     linuxtv dvb mail list
Subject:        Re: [linux-dvb] Nebula with any kernel
Hello Brian,

I don't have a Nebula card but I do have a compiled driver.  I'm writing
a driver based on it for a new card.

First thing to realise is that it isn't include in 2.5 / 2.6 kernels, so
http://bytesex.org/patches/2.4.21/11-v4l2-api-2.4.21-rc4.diff.gz

Now compile this with module support for
"Character devices/I2C support/I2C support"
"Character devices/I2C support/I2C bit-banging interfaces"
"Character devices/I2C support/I2C device interface"
"Character devices/I2C support/I2C /proc interfaces"
"Multimedia devices/Video For Linux"
"Multimedia devices/Video For Linux/BT848 Video For Linux"
Reboot with this kernel.

Then download http://bytesex.org/bttv/bttv-0.9.11.tar.gz and extract.
This is a newer version of bttv and already has the patches from the
dvb-kernel directory.  I had to change a Makefile line to
"KERNELRELEASE   := `uname -r`" and then "make" and "make install" from
this directory.

Finally go to your dvb-kernel directory.  Edit ./getlinks and add:
"for x in `find ../../bttv-0.9.11 -name "*.[h]"` ; do
        ln -vs $x `basename $x`
done"
to the end
$ cd build-2.4/
$ make clean && ./getlinks && make
$ ./insmod.sh load

The ./insmod.sh doesn't seem to load the bttv.o module so may not work.
I've included a bt8xx-load.sh shell script that I obtain from the mail
list but it may have the modules order incorrect.

Is that confusing enough for you?  I've done all that and still can't
get my driver to work. ;-)

By the way, this driver has run into trouble get into the 2.6 kernels.
If you could help that would be appreciated.  Explanation following:
On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 16:32, Michael Hunold wrote:
> The problem is that there is a conceptual problem in getting this driver
> in. It needs a hackish patch for the bttv driver, so that it exports the
> i2c routines for our usage.
>
> Of course Gerd Knorr (bttv and video4linux maintainer) is refusing the
> patch because it stinks. 8-)
>
> So someone with a Nebula card and kernel programming knowledge needs to
> fix this the right way.

Paul

Home | Main Index | Thread Index