[linux-dvb] Re: satellite newbie in the US looking for set upDVB on linux

Jack Thomasson wrote:
Michael Glaum wrote:

Sorry, can't help. I'd be surprised if you can get a Nexus-s shipped to North America?

hauppauge sells them here.

Really, I don't think anybody is doing LinuxDVB on

North America birds. There are several FTA DVB birds
(Telstar 5?) I think but I haven't heard too much noise
on the maillist.

mostly we're seeing commercial DVB/IP applications. globecast has up some foreign video on T5 at 11.874 and 12.123. i don't know what else is out there.
while we're talking about the US modes, is anybody of you aware of the transmit modes they use in the US for DirecTV and DSS? From the public frontend ducumentation spec sheets I've seen that DSS uses basically a similiar MPEG packet format but 130 bytes packet length. Most modern frontends even can transparently handle both DVB and DSS.

Would it make sense to add these modes to the LinuxDVB API so that the same applications can at the end work everywhere all over the world?

Holger