[linux-dvb] Re: video4linux issues

Manousaridis Angelos wrote:
Hello,

I want to develop a driver for a custom video board for a strongARM platform. This board has a MPEG2 decoder and a graphics processor. The incoming data stream will come from the network interface. I have found no support for the two ICs invovled (LSI 64105, Teralogic 751) so I will start from scratch.

Most probably linux-dvb is not needed for this project, but I would like to ask the linux-dvb developers about video4linux.
You could use the LinuxDVB API to control demux and MPEG decoder, see linux/include/linux/dvb/dmx.h, audio.h, video.h -- this API provides somewhat more control than plain V4L.

I found the following pages related to it :

http://www.video4linux.net/
http://bytesex.org/v4l/
http://www.thedirks.org/v4l2/

and I am a little confused. What is the most up-to-date API?
V4L2 is the latest Video4Linux API version, but please ask the V4L people for details.

What API is included in the linux kernel tree?

I want to develop a driver for kernel version 2.4.18, but I would like of course to use the interface that 2.5 and 2.6 will use (without major changes). I am not interested for kernels before 2.4.18.
That's what we do in the dvb-kernel tree, see e.g. the AV7110 driver for details. The MPEG decoder stuff is pretty similiar to the one you need to implement.

Holger