[linux-dvb] Re: dvb-kernel and Pinnacle PCTV Sat

Gunther Laure wrote:
Hi,

I wish to ask if it is currently possible to run the PCTV Sat with the
new V4L2 dvb-kernel driver? As I read in the mailing list archive some
said it should be possible, whereas others mentioned that the frontend
driver may not be complete. The README.bt8xx mentions the pctv and the
hauppauge nebula card in the same sentence. But as they use different
chipsets, I am not convinced that the pctv cards really works.
Basically the card worked fine a while ago, but last time there was no feedback, so I'd suppose that everything works fine, otherwise we usually get lots of complaints here.

We don't have this card here, so we can't test.

The reason why I ask: I am the developer for a small tv application
(dvbtv.sourceforge.net) that wraps mplayer and dvbstream and allows IR
zapping with this card and the old "pinnacle-experimental" driver.
The dvb-kernel driver should have at least the same functionality and a few bugs fixed, most of them were related to the DVB-over-IP stuff.

But I believe that the v4l2 driver would allow using better apps like
tvtime and freevo and that I can concentrate on other things. Of course
I would add the steps to use dvb-kernel with this card to the HOWTO also
hosted at my site.
Since the card has no onboard MPEG decoder you need to use a external software decoder in your application to watch TV, a V4L interface makes only sense if you have a hardware MPEG decoder.

(well, you could write a software-decoder-deamon which feeds a pseudo-V4L-device, e.g. using procfs, a special device node or sysfs, but this has not be done before - )

Holger