[linux-dvb] Re: dvb-kernel and Pinnacle PCTV Sat

Holger Waechtler schrieb:

But I believe that the v4l2 driver would allow using better apps like
tvtime and freevo and that I can concentrate on other things. Of course
I would add the steps to use dvb-kernel with this card to the HOWTO also
hosted at my site.

Since the card has no onboard MPEG decoder you need to use a external software decoder in your application to watch TV, a V4L interface makes only sense if you have a hardware MPEG decoder.

(well, you could write a software-decoder-deamon which feeds a pseudo-V4L-device, e.g. using procfs, a special device node or sysfs, but this has not be done before - )

A lot of people would appreciate a soft-based MPEG-decoder. The simpliest solution would be to cat the TS-stream from DVR-device with a modfied ffmpeg and pipe the video-output into a pseudo-device (e.g. using http://motion.sourceforge.net/vloopback/index.html)

Rene