[linux-dvb] Re: VP-1020

Brad Campbell wrote:

Ok, got the doc, did all my "homework" and tested it hard and long.
There are no errors in the dma stream, there are no spurious interrupts. The only thing I can think of is there is some other initialisation missing. I'm a good way into getting my head around the windows driver so we'll see what that holds.

At least I now fully understand how it all works which will make it easier to debug I hope :p)

The windows driver tuner timeout is 8 seconds!
That figures, it takes longer than that for the windows software to come back and tell me it can't get a lock..

Since I'm probably never going to use it with a CAM anyway I'm almost tempted to just got and buy the FTA version, but if I'm gonna do that I may as well mail-order a real DVB card with the MPEG hardware..

Oh well, back to it..
Ok, I'm at a loss and ready to throw this bloody thing out the window.

I have checked and verified all the DMA transfers, no interrupts are getting lost, the RISC code is working properly, the tuner works, the diseqc works. I get a data stream.. it's just crap.

I ran dvbstream -o 8192 | hexdump

which is supposed to pass the entire stream through unfiltered and verified that I'm getting packets of 188 bytes in length starting with 47 from the kernel. I have had a look at the kernel dvb_demux driver and seen how it works, I'm just plain lost now.

The only thing I can think of is that this card is the -CI model and the data from the tuner goes to the bt878 via another asic that has flash and ram attached to it. I'm thinking that the windows driver performs some other init sequence that may program this device in some way.

I'm now looking at tapping the i2c bus from the bt878 and monitoring it with hardware to capture the i2c packets to see what is going on.

I'm also having an interesting dialog with twinhan at the moment..
More to follow as things unfold.

Does anyone have anything obvious I could try that I might be missing? or some way of testing/checking the recieved stream for missing data?

Brad