[linux-dvb] Re: VP-1020

> The only thing I can think of is that this card is the -CI model and the
> data from the tuner goes to the bt878 via another asic that has flash
> and ram attached to it. I'm thinking that the windows driver performs
> some other init sequence that may program this device in some way.
>
> I'm now looking at tapping the i2c bus from the bt878 and monitoring it
> with hardware to capture the i2c packets to see what is going on.

Rather than that ...

Can you get one of the drivers from xusa
http://www.usa-x.org/forum/modules.php?name=Downloads

(Unfortunately they are kernel version specific e.g. the kernel
with RH 7.1). Also, I'm not sure they actually work :(

(actually, it wouldn't take much to emulate the driver)

Then use strace.

strace doesn't help much with ioctls, so to improve the information
add/replace with the contents of
http://members.optushome.com.au/jhonan/dst/dst-strace-ioctl.tar.gz
to the source of strace.

With strace, only bother with open,close and ioctl. Also be sure
to follow forks.

In any case, I reckon what you'll see is

1. the DST-CI coming back from the driver.

2. a big fat 0x14 / 0x15 ioctl which is some sort of read / write
to the CI module. That will be the beast!

Simple to say, tedious to do.

> I'm also having an interesting dialog with twinhan at the moment..
> More to follow as things unfold.

Dialog!? Biting tongue to prevent screaming. Threats of
consumer watchdogs for false advertising?

Jamie