[linux-dvb] Re: Getting IR-codes directly from DVB-S?

On Monday 13 October 2003 14:33, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz> writes:
>
> > > It should be possible to read the current keymap from the device.
> > > This way one could write something like a keymap editor, or
> > > add another remote control to a loaded keymap.
> >
> > Well, it is currently possible to read a keymap from a keyboard via the
> > event interface. It doesn't efficiently handle sparse keycode tables,
> > though, like the remote seems to be using (address + code).
>
> writing keymaps works too.  Been there, done that while hacking IR
> remote support via input layer for bttv + saa7134 ...

I'll try that. Should not be difficult to modify the existing keymap
implementation to use the evdev ioctls.
Unfortunately it will work with 2.6 kernels only.

> > > We need these if we
> > > want to implement a keymap learning mode or a keymap editor.
> > > Maybe we have to add this sub-function to the low-level interface, too.
> > > With the current implementation you have to build keymaps by reading
> > > debug messages and putting everything together manually. :-(
>
> You might want to check out
> http://bytesex.org/snapshot/input-<date>.tar.gz, that are a few input
> layer userspace tools (print device info, dumb events, read/write
> keymaps, ...) I wrote for debugging while hacking the IR support into
> the bttv + saa7134 drivers.
>
> Driver snapshots with IR support available from the snapshot directory
> too, 2.6.x kernel patches are at bytesex.org/patches/

Thanks for the pointers. I'll have a look on it.

> There are a number of buttons where are no good KEY_* defines for yet
> (color/contrast/hue, bass/trable/balance, ...) btw.

Key naming is another problem. Some keys are missing, sometimes it's
not clear which key name should be used. IMHO it's nearly impossible
to define something like a 'linux standard' remote control.

Oliver