[linux-dvb] Re: Again a question about V4L and budget cards.

Il lun, 2003-12-01 alle 22:09, Gerd Knorr ha scritto:
> Vincenzo Di Massa <hawk78_it@yahoo.it> writes:
>
> > I suppose there is really big value adding v4l support for budget cards.
>
> Why?

1) There are tons of good apps that require you to have the /dev/video.
 thing.

2) Why should every software care about the type of hardware you are
using? I mean if /dev/video is the standard device used to get/record
video, it should work for any video related hw. It is a matter of
standards, consistency and abstraction.

3) The ability to have better and most stable sw: if every software uses
its own copy/linkage to ffmpeg, ts2ps... many work is spent fixing
things twice or more.

4) The use of pipes and other beautifull methods (like playing a file
while you are recording it) is great to test, study etc. But when you
are ALWAYS using tricks it means there is something missing in the sw
you are using.

5) All OSS is about choiche, so... why not? (Here you could replay:
"Just do it yourself!")

I'm trying to expose my point of view, if what I say makes no sense...
tell me!

In the past discussion has been focused on putting ffmpeg INTO the
kernel. This proposal was rejected for understandable reasons.

I'm learning a lot studing the code and reading the emails of this
project.
I don't have (jet) the skills to discuss about kernel design, in a
propositive manner, but I suppose there is a nice way to do it.

You, who are my teachers, can tell! That's why I ask.

--
Vincenzo Di Massa <hawk78_it@yahoo.it>