[linux-dvb] Re: mplayer HDTV

Roberto Ragusa wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 12:09:36 +1100
Hamish Moffatt <hamish@cloud.net.au> wrote:

If I run dvb:/// and tune to that program, it will keep playing but the
video breaks up badly every few seconds. If I capture some data to disk and play it back the video seems quite slow, and still gives the above
messages. The captured file plays ok in Xine though.

I've got a Duron 1.2 GHz; playing back the HD file takes about 55% of
the CPU, according to top. About 35% in xine.

Are you using xv (-vo xv) instead of x11?

I have no problem playing a 15Mbit/s 1920x1088 stream from Astra at 19.0E
on an Athlon XP2400 and "mplayer -vo xv -cache 15000 /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0"
(mplayer-1.0-0.5.pre2.20031107.fr from freshrpms).
Decoding on a Celeron 2GHz takes less than 50% CPU usage, so it can well be possible on a 1.2GHz Duron combined with a modern graphics card.

Try playing with "-cache" and "-framedrop" and check if your screen resolution
is big enough (mplayer wants a 1934x1088 xv window and has problems if I
am at 1280x1024). Try also "-nosound" just to be sure.
Some XV drivers are buggy when downscaling and show ugly white stripe artifacts at some scale factors, in this case you might also want to try the OpenGL output, this was working best in my setup.

The "size restrictions for MP@ML or MPEG1 exceeded!" is not an error, just
a notice. But it can slow things down if it's scrolling in a terminal
window on X, so try avoiding this (small and not overlapping window, or
"mplayer >/dev/null 2>/dev/null").

The biggest problem with HDTV is that human affordable monitors don't
have enough resolution (1920 pixels at 0.25mm need a 48cm wide monitor,
that would be a 4:3 monitor with a diagonal of 24 inches, which would
mean a "commercial" size of 25 or 26 inches).
the 23" Apple Cinema display is exactly 1920 pixels wide - don't know whether you call it's price human affordable - the picture quality of both the 20" and the 23" Cinema displays definitely rectifies it...

Holger