[linux-dvb] Re: mplayer HDTV

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 05:28:04PM +0100, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 12:09:36 +1100
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@cloud.net.au> wrote:
> > If I run dvb:/// and tune to that program, it will keep playing but the
> > video breaks up badly every few seconds. If I capture some data to disk
> > and play it back the video seems quite slow, and still gives the above
> > messages. The captured file plays ok in Xine though.
> >
> > I've got a Duron 1.2 GHz; playing back the HD file takes about 55% of
> > the CPU, according to top. About 35% in xine.
>
> Are you using xv (-vo xv) instead of x11?

Yes, but it doesn't make any difference (x11 behaves the same as xv).

> Try playing with "-cache" and "-framedrop" and check if your screen resolution
> is big enough (mplayer wants a 1934x1088 xv window and has problems if I
> am at 1280x1024). Try also "-nosound" just to be sure.

Hmmm. I'm runing 1280x1024 (highest I can). I tried scaling, with
"-xy 0.5" for example and got a nice window in the middle of the screen,
but the size restriction messages continued and the problem still
occurred.

Using larger -cache values delays the problem (usually it will exit with
"End of file" messages) but nothing works completely.

Even the video that is played seems wrong; it appears to be running at
less than real-time. That happens with captured data too.

> The "size restrictions for MP@ML or MPEG1 exceeded!" is not an error, just

What size restriction does it mean? Is it saying that it's too big for
some internal structure, too big for the display, or out of spec? The
message is not at all helpful.

> a notice. But it can slow things down if it's scrolling in a terminal
> window on X, so try avoiding this (small and not overlapping window, or
> "mplayer >/dev/null 2>/dev/null").

That didn't help. I'm not getting the message that often (once a second
or so).

Thanks,

Hamish