[linux-dvb] Re: mplayer HDTV

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 12:09:36 +1100
Hamish Moffatt <hamish@cloud.net.au> wrote:

> If I run dvb:/// and tune to that program, it will keep playing but the
> video breaks up badly every few seconds. If I capture some data to disk
> and play it back the video seems quite slow, and still gives the above
> messages. The captured file plays ok in Xine though.
>
> I've got a Duron 1.2 GHz; playing back the HD file takes about 55% of
> the CPU, according to top. About 35% in xine.

Are you using xv (-vo xv) instead of x11?

I have no problem playing a 15Mbit/s 1920x1088 stream from Astra at 19.0E
on an Athlon XP2400 and "mplayer -vo xv -cache 15000 /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0"
(mplayer-1.0-0.5.pre2.20031107.fr from freshrpms).

Try playing with "-cache" and "-framedrop" and check if your screen resolution
is big enough (mplayer wants a 1934x1088 xv window and has problems if I
am at 1280x1024). Try also "-nosound" just to be sure.

The "size restrictions for MP@ML or MPEG1 exceeded!" is not an error, just
a notice. But it can slow things down if it's scrolling in a terminal
window on X, so try avoiding this (small and not overlapping window, or
"mplayer >/dev/null 2>/dev/null").

The biggest problem with HDTV is that human affordable monitors don't
have enough resolution (1920 pixels at 0.25mm need a 48cm wide monitor,
that would be a 4:3 monitor with a diagonal of 24 inches, which would
mean a "commercial" size of 25 or 26 inches).

Good luck.

   Roberto Ragusa    r.ragusa at libero.it