[linux-dvb] Re: av7110_ir and kernel 2.6.0

On Monday 05 January 2004 14:29, Software wrote:
> Hello,
> last weekend i switched my vdr-pc to kernel 2.6.0. Now i have an echo of
> the pressed remote keys on the
> terminal window.
> With kernel 2.4.21 i <simple> rmmod keybdev.o module and the echo was
> gone...
> What should i do under a 2.6. kernel?

Apply this patch to the remote plugin:
http://endriss.escape.bei.t-online.de/vdr/misc/remote-0.2.0_kernel-2.6_grab_device.diff
The EVIOCGRAB ioctl of kernel 2.6 is used to lock the event device.
This code will be included in the next release of the remote plugin.

IMHO it was a bad idea[tm] to treat all remote controls as keyboards, and
let the keyboard driver access these devices...

> Is there any configuration possible for those events? What can i do if i
> want the hauppauge remote control
> and an usb keyboard (needs keybdev in 2.4 ?).

Unfortunately, the EVIOCGRAB ioctl does not exist in kernel 2.4.
Apply this patch to the kernel keybdev driver:
http://endriss.escape.bei.t-online.de/vdr/misc/kernel-2.4-keybdev-patch.diff
(Required only if you have a USB keyboard.)

> Last question: is there a simple way to get the name of  the event
> device for dvb-remote (needed for the
> remote plugin from vdr like /dev/input/eventX , X needed!)?
> I have seen that X could change sometimes ( at starting dvb drivers).

The numbers are assigned when the drivers register with the input
system. Usually the numbers are as follows:
kernel 2.4: event0 (if there is *no* USB keyboard/mouse)
kernel 2.6: event2 (event0, event1 are keyboard and mouse).

Oliver