[linux-dvb] Re: av7110_ir and kernel 2.6.0

On Monday 05 January 2004 18:10, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> Holger Waechtler wrote:
> >
> > has it ever been discussed to add a device type flag (KEYBOARD, REMOTE
> > or SENDS_TTY_EVENTS/NO_TTY_EVENTS -- anything like this)?
>
> I think so. Search groups.google.com for "lirc EVIOCGRAB group:linux.kernel".
> IIRC the result was: "use BTN_[0-9], not KEY_[0-9]".
>
> SENDS/NO_TTY_EVENTS is lame because the IR driver cannot know if the user
> wants to use an IR keyboard.

IMHO an infrared keyboard is a keyboard, not a remote control.
There is no difference whether a keyboard is connected using a cable
or not. Remote controls are different.
Remotes are non-standardized special-purpose devices, and the keyboard
driver should *not* register with them. Everything else is just a ugly
hack. ;-)

Using different keycodes isn't a good solution either, as the total
number of keys is limited to 511. This limit will be reached soon. :-(

Another problem is the keymap handling: Remote controls have different
layouts and are not standardized. Applications which use remote
controls have to do some kind of key mapping anyway.

IMHO it does not make much sense to have a keymap in kernel space for
remote controls *and* a mapping in the application. Unfortunately the
event interface is not flexible enough to do a simple 1:1 mapping in
kernel space: There is no way to pass 32 (or 64 bit) codes...

Oliver