[linux-dvb] Re: aver dvb-t

Thank you, we'll rather buy Nova-T card.

Martin Stubbs napsal(a):
In theory it can be made to work, but I've not managed it yet! If anyone
has any straight forward instructions please pass them on.

Paul

Hi,
does anybody have experience with aver dvb-t card and linuxtv.org?
I've found a post from 18th November 2003 where was written: "However
the picture quality is still not perfect with some of the channels
severely broken up and the best channels having break ups every few
seconds." So I wonder if there are still these problems or not.

Thank you

Paul,

I have been playing with my Avermedia DVB-T card since I sent the original message in Nov. I also had the chance to do a side by side comparison with a Nova-t card on the same antenna system. The conclusion of all my tests is that my Avermedia card performs very badly in comparison to the Hauppauge card and this is not because of a problem with the linux drivers. I done the following:

1) compared the performance of both cards under windows. The Hauppauge card tunes all channels with perfect pictures. The Avermedia card works well on 2 mux but there are significant errors (display problems) on the other 4.

2) compared the cards under linux. The Hauppauge card works as well as in windows. The Avermedia card has problems on 5 of the 6 mux

3) used lmilk monitoring of the i2c messages to compare the card setup in windows and linux. I have identified some errors/differences but the changes to the linux driver have not significantly changed performance. I am still working on the i2c logs to try to understand some of the sequences. If/when I can make any worthwhile improvement will send the new driver to the list. Just in case anyone else tries to use lmilk on this card I found that I had to modify its "state machine" as there seems to be a difference/problem with the acks/naks that the software doesn't like.

Conclusion

My Avermedia card does not work well and I shall either throw it in the bin or find someone on ebay who lives right below a transmitter.
If you need help getting yours going let me know how far you have got and I will try to help

Martin