[linux-dvb] Re: Low bitrate transponders with TT Budget (NOVA) DVB-S card

>I tried (with SS2 card), and found out that:
>1) these transponders seem to be rather weak. Both windows and linux
>drivers have often problems locking (bad weather etc...) while other
>transponders are good
>2) with SS2, precision of tuning frequency inversely depends on
>bitrate. So for transponders with low bitrate, frequency must be tuned
>precisely. This is important, since your LNB can drift somewhat
>depending on temperature/age/etc... and precision of szap is 1Mhz.
>IMHO kernel driver (or szap?) has some autotune capabilities, at least
>on some other (almost empty) satellites, if I use frequency off by
1MHz,
>locking takes somewhat longer but it lockes eventually, but on full
>satellites (such as HB), card seems to lock on neighbour transponders,
>and since they have different bitrate, you see nothing as a result (I
>witnessed it when I set wrong polarization by mistake - after few
>seconds, szap locked, probably on neighbour transponder, but there was
no
>output from the dvr device - it took me some time to find out :-)).
>But with carefully aligned dish, I can lock and watch those channel
>without problems

As I said, my installation is such that signal is good and I have
perfect reception in Windows, tuning and locking is very fast and
stable. For Linux
I have special tuning program which searches in steps of 66 kHz. It
starts from a center frequency, say 14112 MHz, and then goes up and down
in multiple of 66 kHz in the range of 1.5MHz.

I noticed that in Windows the search step for low bitrate is even in
125kHz steps and it is adaptively depending on the bitrate.

So I wonder if anybody is getting the low bitrate channels with Linux
drivers and budget cards?