[linux-dvb] Re: Low bitrate transponders with TT Budget (NOVA)DVB-S card

Irek Defée wrote:

I tried (with SS2 card), and found out that:
1) these transponders seem to be rather weak. Both windows and linux
drivers have often problems locking (bad weather etc...) while other
transponders are good
2) with SS2, precision of tuning frequency inversely depends on
bitrate. So for transponders with low bitrate, frequency must be tuned
precisely. This is important, since your LNB can drift somewhat
depending on temperature/age/etc... and precision of szap is 1Mhz. IMHO kernel driver (or szap?) has some autotune capabilities, at least on some other (almost empty) satellites, if I use frequency off by
1MHz,

locking takes somewhat longer but it lockes eventually, but on full
satellites (such as HB), card seems to lock on neighbour transponders,
and since they have different bitrate, you see nothing as a result (I
witnessed it when I set wrong polarization by mistake - after few
seconds, szap locked, probably on neighbour transponder, but there was
no
output from the dvr device - it took me some time to find out :-)).
But with carefully aligned dish, I can lock and watch those channel
without problems

As I said, my installation is such that signal is good and I have
perfect reception in Windows, tuning and locking is very fast and
stable. For Linux
I have special tuning program which searches in steps of 66 kHz. It
starts from a center frequency, say 14112 MHz, and then goes up and down
in multiple of 66 kHz in the range of 1.5MHz.
I noticed that in Windows the search step for low bitrate is even in
125kHz steps and it is adaptively depending on the bitrate.
So I wonder if anybody is getting the low bitrate channels with Linux
drivers and budget cards?
The driver is known with some of the STV0299 based frontends at low symbol rates (I tested at least the su1278 a while ago). Could you please try to find out which registers get configured differently when using the windows-software?

Holger