[linux-dvb] Re: Nova-T PCI rev 1.2, CVS DVB driver, Alpha and PowerPC

Paavo Hartikainen <pahartik@sci.fi> writes:

> My experiment with Hauppauge Nova-T (model 909, card revision 1.2) has
> not been completely successful.  I have managed to "scan" local
> multiplex A, to create channels.list, but it still gives me no
> sensible video or audio data within MPEG-2 TS.  MPlayer says "MPEG:
> FATAL: EOF while searching for sequence header.", but it sees PIDs
> ("VIDEO MPEG2(pid=512)...AUDIO MP2(pid=650) NO SUBS (yet)! PROGRAM
> N. 0") that got saved along broadcast data.  MPEG-2 TS (~60 seconds,
> ~20 MB) was captured on PowerPC by "cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 >
> ~/ts.data" while "tzap" was tuned to
> "[0011]:578000000:INVERSION_OFF:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_2_3:FEC_NONE:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_8:HIERARCHY_NONE:512:650:17".
> Nothing got captured when I tried same thing on Alpha.

I got no further content after that on PowerPC either, but "tzap"
output looked the same.  "scan" was also running for hours in loop, so
I managed to construct mostly sensible "~/.tzap/channels.conf" out of
those results.  Once I managed to see one of the television channel
referred by name and not only number, few other times it showed some
garbled text instead of referring to channels by name...

Also, now that I went to take the PCI device out of my Alpha, I found
out that it has written random colour pixels all over the console
frame buffer (TGA) while running "scan" or "tzap".  No other drivers
ever did that to me...  It seems to happen slowly, at random locations
of screen while "scan" or "tzap" runs.  Redrawing console screen with
^L wipes it all off and things look normal again.

On PowerPC I also tried with Linux 2.6.0 kernel and DVB drivers that
come with it.  It was not too stable and using "tzap" or "scan" caused
kernel panic almost immediately.

Now, it would have been nice to even figure out if signal is too weak
for receiving DVB-T in this building or if Nova-T is not sensitive
enough.  For all I know, it could also be driver problem...

I will try with another DVB-T tuner once I find store that sells
different model...  Which devices are you currently using?  Anything
on PowerPC or Alpha workstations?

--
 "pienena   /  Paavo "Rainbow Rat" Hartikainen
  minusta  /  E-mail: pahartik@sci.fi