[linux-dvb] Re: No sound on some channels (sometimes)

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Martin Holst wrote:
> >
> > Many people noticed, that the sound on some channel gets lost and only a
> > restart of the dvb driver solves that problem. In my case I'm pretty sure, that
> > this problem doesn't exist within dvb-driver from 20.09.2003. But some other
> > people on the vdr-ML said, that they have this problem with drivers before
> > that date. Affected channels are: RTL, ARD.
> >
> > Oliver Endriss wrote on the vdr-ML:
> > * I often have missing sound on ARD (pid 102), but sometimes other
> > * pids are affected (101, 104). 101 is used by picture on ARD, 104
> > * by sound on RTL...
>
> The Sat.1/Pro7 transponder uses the PIDs 97...107 for their PMT data.
> Maybe, when switching from a channel on that transponder to, say, RTL
> the PID 104, for instance, is still in use by the PMT section filter
> and thus can't be used for audio at that time.
>
> VDR does stop all section filtering before switching channels, so I
> would assume that from VDR's point of view the PIDs should all be available
> as necessary. Maybe there is a race condition in the driver that causes
> the already freed PIDs to still be "in use"?

Unless the dvb-ttpci driver is loaded with pids_off=1 the
pcr/video/audio filters won't be cleared on DMX_STOP/close()
(this is for szap + dvb_shutdown_timeout=0 compatibility).

Anyway, I've never observed this bug with something other than vdr.

Maybe the audio DSP inside the AV7110 crashes if it is fed
bogus data, and thus one needs to reboot the av7110 to recover
from this condition.

Anyway: Please try if pids_off=1 solves the problem, and double
check that there are no old filters set when changing transponders.

Johannes