[linux-dvb] Re: US, Transport Stream - what receiver?

Greg Herlein wrote:
Nevertheless if you only want to record some transport streams and watch tv with your pc running you can save lots of money and buy some cheap dvb card, i.e. Hauppauge Nova, some Technotrend card or Technisat Skystar2 (i.e. Techsan SKY2PC). (Note that you'll need a reasonable fast pc if you buy a card without tv-out.) Read the ML to find out which one suits your needs best.

So these cards have the IRD functionality in them already - ie, I just hang a LNB in a dish on it and then access it with the linux DVB-API? And I can pull raw transport streams off that?
yes. Maybe you need to adjust some hardcoded parameters in the example codelets like the LOF which might be different for LNBs bought in the US, maybe you also need to check whether your equipments supports teh DiSEqC for LNB and switch control. If not you can still use the loop-through of an existing receiver to control your LNB and switch.

If that's true, and that is exciting, then what do folks int he US use? Ie, what is reasonably available here and, what is best supported yet? I'd rather not fight driver issues - I just want
clean and relatively easy access to the raw transport streams.
For satellites that transmit plain MPEG2 in a DVB compliant modulation you should have no problems at all. Beside them you have the DirectTV satellites in the american sky. DirectTV satellites are using DSS as modulation scheme and shorter MPEG packets, the MT312 demodulator used on the older SkyStar2 cards can handle them, but nobody tried this yet and you probably need to modify some parts of the driver to get this working.

So it's easiest for now to use the DVB/MPEG2 compliant satellites only - when you find some time you can dig deeper into the code and try to get the DSS stuff working...

Holger