[linux-dvb] Re: Unable to get ITV mux

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Gavin Hamill wrote:

Thanks for your help Gavin..........

> > Bit error rate: 131070
>
> To me that smacks far too strongly of 'something wrong' since it's very close
> to 131072, a nice computing number 2 ^ 17 ... Do you get this reported error
> rate on the working muxes?

james@neon:~/projects/DVB/apps/scan$ dvbtune -f 810167
Using DVB card "Philips TDA10045H"
tuning DVB-T (in United Kingdom) to 810167000 Hz
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
FE_HAS_SYNC
Event:  Frequency: 820767000
        SymbolRate: 0
        FEC_inner:  3

Bit error rate: 5454
Signal strength: 50629
SNR: 63993
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
FE_HAS_SYNC
james@neon:~/projects/DVB/apps/scan$

5454 on the 'TMF' mux, which I can view fine.

> Also,
>
> > Event:  Frequency: 844767000
>
> That's not the frequency you tuned... what happens if you try to set dvbtune
> to "-f 823567" in case there's some strange offset incantation going wrong?

james@neon:~/projects/DVB/apps/scan$ dvbtune -f 823567
Using DVB card "Philips TDA10045H"
tuning DVB-T (in United Kingdom) to 823567000 Hz
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_TIMEDOUT FE_HAS_VITERBI FE_HAS_SYNC
Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency

Interestingly, when tuning to TMF, it also appears to 'change' the
frequency, but I can still view the stream.

> > FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_CARRIER
>
> It seems the signal has, for whatever reason, dropped away since there's no
> LOCK or VITERBI being reported.

It seems to be back consistently now (I think it disappeared for my last
mail because I'd moved some aerial leads around; I've now removed anything
except the Nova-T card from the aerial and I'm back to where I was before
- sorry about the confusion).

So it looks likely that it's the Bit Error Rate which is causing me
problems :( - Any thoughts on why it might be so high on one frequency,
but fine on others ?

TIA,

--James