[linux-dvb] Re: Example modifications to support request_firmware

Andrew de Quincey wrote:
On Wednesday 28 January 2004 16:21, Holger Waechtler wrote:

Andrew de Quincey wrote:

Hi, this patch is an example of how the changes to support
request_firmware might be done. I've only made the neccessary changes to
certain example devices. It probably won't compile.

Please let me know what you think.
Hmmm - what exactly is the meaning of this device struct - it's not
attached to a device but to the adapter which has no matching device
node, not? Am I misunderstanding something?

Its the linux device structure as defined in linux/device.h..... it made sense to me to attach it to the adapter because the adapter is the thing physically plugged into a bus on the machine, not the DVB-devices which are things attached to the adapter.
As I read the device.h API it requires you to define a subsystem class - in our case either 'i2c' or 'dvb'. 'i2c' would add again a dependency to the kernel-i2c core, defining our own device class 'dvb' would cause serious problems when backporting the code to 2.4.

But the latter is probably the better interpretation of the API intention and on the long term the only way I see to cleanly load firmwares into MPEG decoders or DSPs in STBs without PCI or USB or i2c bus (or any other bus with a predefined subsystem class in the 2.6 sense)

Holger