[linux-dvb] Re: Example modifications to support request_firmware

Johannes Stezenbach writes:
 > > But the latter is probably the better interpretation of the API
 > > intention and on the long term the only way I see to cleanly load
 > > firmwares into MPEG decoders or DSPs in STBs without PCI or USB or i2c
 > > bus (or any other bus with a predefined subsystem class in the 2.6 sense)
 >
 > The i2c bus and devices in the DVB driver will have to be registered
 > with the Linux device infrastructure if we ever want to have working
 > power management (e.g. a STB with *real* standby). I believe that
 > this is more work than sorting out the problems with the current
 > kernel I2C implementation, and using that instead of our own.

There even is a class entry (e.g. I2C_ADAP_CLASS_TV_DIGITAL)
now for the I2C adapters. If something similar would be added for the
driver side for rejecting everything besides tuners, demodulators
and maybe eeproms, there should be no problems anymore.
I think the problems only were cause by a handful of drivers anyway
(e.g. Matrox drivers which probed for their I2C devices on any I2C
adapter they found and used huge timeouts).

I currently have no problems with kernel I2C in my 2.6 port. But if somebody
wants to test it, please only try it on full-featured cards or KNC budget
cards. Anything else is probably broken, especially regarding I2C
registration.

Ralph