[linux-dvb] Re: Is there anything I could do to make editing mark working under 2.6?

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > >
> > > LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4 ./vdr
> > > (LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4 makes glibc use linuxthreads
> > > even if the kernel is capable of running NPTL.)
> >
> > VDR 1.3 natively supports NPTL.
>
> What does this mean?

Well, Jon Burgess, Andreas Schultz, Werner Fink and Stefan Huelswitt have sent
me patches for VDR 1.3.0 to work with NPTL without having to set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.
Since I don't run kernel 2.6 or NPTL here I wasn't able to explicitly test this
and just had to assume that it would work.

If somebody with NPTL can provide a fix, please let me know.

> I tried with vdr-1.3.3. It hangs without LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.
>
> NPTL is more Posix conforming than linuxthreads, so there may be
> differences in the *behaviour* of some pthread_* functions,
> and especially in the interaction of threads and signals.
>
> But I haven't had time to look into NPTL yet, so I don't
> know what exactly could be the problem. But the SIGIO stuff
> in vdr/thread.c could be the culprit...

Possible - but as I said I can't debug this myself.

Klaus