[linux-dvb] Re: transport errors & femon

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 05:06:07PM +0100, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> >So I did a bit more digging. It seems that that IS a bit in the MPEG2
> >transport stream header. The tda1004x is transport stream-aware, so
> >either it's setting the bit because it detected an uncorrectable error,
> >or the transmitting station set the bit (which would seem to be a bit
> >daft).
>
> I would assume they are set by the tda10045. Have you tried the
> experiment to ensure a quasi-errorfree stream, either by using a better
> antenna or testing on another transponder?

There's at least one transponder here which appears to work perfectly.
femon reports a slightly higher ber, if anything. No transport errors
reported by xine. No uncorrected errors from femon.

> >I'm having problems with the sp887x card too. I have seen that report
> >uncorrectable errors in the counters, but I get transport errors from
> >that which aren't counted, just like the tda1004x.
>
> The error counter values reported of the sp887x always seemed bogus to
> me, I'm not sure whether you can count on them.

What about the tda1004x - do you trust its counters? I'm definitely
getting packets flagged as errored from the demux device while the
uncorrected error count is always zero.

I improved my antenna setup slightly by putting in a preamp before a
longish cable run from the wall to the pc (over low quality cable too).
I received the problem transponder for 7 hours without error until xine
stopped working for some other reason. So I suppose it is just a signal
quality problem, despite the fairly low ber (< 0x150) and no reported
uncorrected errors.

thanks,
Hamish