[linux-dvb] prefixing dvb userland tools

Perhaps that needs to be discussed globally - the various dvb-related
packages build a lot of example or not-just-example userland tools. Now,
there are already quite a number of them and with rpm packaging I tend
to not look too close but just go over it and install _all_ of them.

In order to not stomp over userland tools of other packages or some
small helper tools from the user himself, I did invoke the habit to
package all the dozens of tools with a prefix. That itself allows me
to just go the commandline, and enter "dvb_<tab><tab>" to see all the
dvb-related tools - here is an example list:

$ dvb\t\t
dvb_analyze              dvb_insert_pat_pmt       dvb_streamtype
dvbaudio                 dvb_merge_dvb            dvb_szap
dvb_audiofilter          dvb-mpegtools_main       dvb_test_av
dvb_av7110_loadkeys      dvb-mplex                dvb_test_av_play
dvb_cam_menu             dvb-mplex-mpeg           dvb_test_dvr
dvb_cam_set              dvbnet                   dvb_test_dvr_play
dvb_cam_test             dvb_pes2aud              dvb_test_pes
dvb_change_aspect_1_1    dvb_pes2aud_es           dvb_test_sec_ne
dvb_change_aspect_16_9   dvb_pes2ts               dvb_test_sections
dvb_change_aspect_221_1  dvb_pes2ts2              dvb_test_stc
dvb_change_aspect_4_3    dvb_pes2vid              dvb_test_stillimage
dvb_conv                 dvb_pes2vid_es           dvb_test_tt
dvb_cut_mpg              dvb_pes_demux            dvb_test_vevent
dvb_czap                 dvb_pesplot              dvbtraffic
dvbdate                  dvb_pes_repack           dvb_ts2es
dvb_dia                  dvb_ps2vid               dvb_ts2pes
dvb_diseqc               dvb_quickscan            dvb_ts2ps
dvb_dump_TS              dvb_satscan              dvb_ts_demux
dvb_es_demux             dvb_sendburst            dvb_ts_es_demux
dvb_evtest               dvb_set22k               dvb_tspids
dvb_extract_pes          dvb_setpid               dvb_tzap
dvb_extract_pes_payload  dvb_setvoltage           dvb_video
dvb_femon                dvb_show_dvb_image
dvb_get_http             dvb_split_mpg

Of course, I do add symlinks for those userland tools which are
already in widespread use (i.e. not-just-example), so atleast for
szap and ts2* tools you will find them under the name given in
documentation - as szap and ts2pes etc.

These examples do also have the advantage of not being taken as
a name for ad-hoc tools by the usual user or developer for his
scripts. Counter-examples are "dia", "split_mpg", "get_http",
"video", "conv", "evtest", "streamtype" - I do not intend to
package them at any time under this name! Sorry, for that.

A similar thing is about the userland tools with "ps" in the name
which is also taken by _lots_ of other packages for postscript
related userland tools:

$ ps\t\t
ps             ps2pdf13       psbook         pslogin        pstopnm
ps2ascii       ps2pdf14       pscprint       psmerge        pstops
ps2epsi        ps2pdfpress    psfaddtable    psnup          pstree
ps2frag        ps2pdfwr       psfgettable    psprint        pstruct
ps2lwxl        ps2pk          psfstriptable  psql           psu
ps2pdf         ps2ps          psidtopgm      psresize       pswrap
ps2pdf12       psall          pslatex        psselect

I guess we better let those tools in their area and not irritate
users that "ps" can also be a "program stream". Most non-dvb people
do not know and specifically, do not care.

So, I come about to ask _all_ developers in the dvb scene to somehow
change their habits and start using a "dvb" prefix for their userland
tools. It is perfectly okay to use short names for my-cvs-devel tools
but now we are going to see dvb* packages be distributed widely and
perhaps even preinstalled with some distros - atleast the dvb drivers
themselves now are with 2.6, and userland tools will follow quickly.

WDYT? cheers,
-- guido                                  http://google.de/search?q=guidod
p.s. my own rpm packages rename tools to use dvb_ when no such prefix there