[linux-dvb] Re: prefixing dvb userland tools

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
Guido Draheim wrote:

Perhaps that needs to be discussed globally - the various dvb-related
packages build a lot of example or not-just-example userland tools. Now,
there are already quite a number of them and with rpm packaging I tend
to not look too close but just go over it and install _all_ of them.

IMHO that's bad. You shouldn't go and install crap on your
or some unsuspecting user's system. You should only what is
actually useful.

In order to not stomp over userland tools of other packages or some
small helper tools from the user himself, I did invoke the habit to
package all the dozens of tools with a prefix. That itself allows me
to just go the commandline, and enter "dvb_<tab><tab>" to see all the
dvb-related tools - here is an example list:

I don't like that. If there is a reason to rename
some of the programs, then we should do it in our CVS
(e.g. scan was renamed to dvbscan recently because there
was a conflict with some other "scan" [reported by suse]).

But you cannot go and create aliases for all the progams.
Well, you can do it on your system, but please not in an
RPM you are going to distribute to others. That will just
confuse people.

So, I come about to ask _all_ developers in the dvb scene to somehow
change their habits and start using a "dvb" prefix for their userland
tools. It is perfectly okay to use short names for my-cvs-devel tools
but now we are going to see dvb* packages be distributed widely and
perhaps even preinstalled with some distros - atleast the dvb drivers
themselves now are with 2.6, and userland tools will follow quickly.

Sorry, I won't rename szap to dvb_szap. IMHO that would be
useless and just annoying. I am open for suggestions if there
is a good reason, like a naming conflict with some other
progam, or if the name really sucks.

And certainly 'szap' is not a good candidate to discuss since it
is in use so widely. The packaging dvb_ prefix had been just a
way to get rid of problems. Doing renames in the original projects
is the right way to handle it, agreed. "scan" _is_ an example.

Actually, newer dvb related projects have already gone to use a
"dvb"-prefix for their tools anyway - it seems that the problem
only exists for the userland tools that started early in the
dvb devel process.

So, we identify to let '[cts]zap' under their old name. Agreed.
What about the rest? Rename them all and cautiously do it now
and including docs? What about metzlerbros projects? Is there
anything known as to which websites must be worked up as well?
Are there other 3rdparty dvb projects to be agitated about it?

cheers,
-- guido                                  http://google.de/search?q=guidod
GCS/E/S/P C++/++++$ ULHS L++w- N++@ s+:a d(+-) r+@>+++ y++ 5++X- (geekcode)