[linux-dvb] Generating progressive video

Hi

i am using vdr together with a LCD-Tv. Since the deinterlacing
algorithms of the Tv are quite bad, i would like to connect the computer
via DVI to the TV and do the deinterlacing with my computer.
To keep my installation small and fast i do not want to use X and
concentrate therefore on DirectFB. First i tried mplayer and tvtime to
test if they meet my requirements but the results where negative. I was
not able to feed mplayer with the decoded video stream from /dev/video0
and the developer of tvtime seems to concentrate on Xv output. While i
was able to use tvtime with DirectFB 0.9.20, i get a segfault using it
together with the newest cvs version of DirectFB.

Hence i plan to develop my own application. I want to use the
deinterlacing algorithms from dscaler and directfb as frontend. Now i
have a few fundamental questions about the way the dvb-driver handles
mpeg decoding.
Can the hardware decoder on a DVB-card perform progressive decoding?
If not, is there information in a mpeg stream about the original video
data source (telecine material or tv-camera) for film mode detection,
and is this information available via the dvb-driver?
If such information can be contained in a mpeg stream (perhaps a flag or
something else), are there at all tv-stations which provide such
informations correctly ?
Can such information be obtained from DVDs, which are played via vdr and
the hardware decoder (via mplayer-plugin or dvd-plugin) ?

Thanks for all answers in advance
michael plagge