[linux-dvb] Using dvb-kernel and bttv 0.9.x in parallel on 2.4 (Re: [linux-dvb]Re: overlay-problem -> pci-latency)

Hello Guido,

On 21.02.2004 21:28, Guido Fiala wrote:
Unfortunately i can't get bttv and dvb working at once together - both compile now, but whether dvb-ttpci.o complains about missing externals videoregister/unregister or bttv.o does so.

But i need both at once - what's so difficult here? (The last driver i could get working here is dvb-1.0.1.)
The problem is that 2.4 is Video4Linux-1 and dvb-1.0.1 was Video4Linux-1. Using bttv 0.9.x with Gerd Knorr's patches on 2.4, you need to make sure that the shared files are compatible.

The easy way is to simply use 2.6.

I just noticed that with latest patches from Gerd Knorr and dvb-kernel, kernel oops happen. I commited a fix to CVS and tried to build a new kernel with bttv and dvb-kernel.

Here's a recipe:
---------------------------schnipp---------------------------------
cd /usr/src/
wget http://bytesex.org/patches/2.4.25-rc1-1/patch-2.4.25-rc1-kraxel.gz
gzip -d patch-2.4.25-rc1-kraxel.gz

tar xjfv [kernel-source-location]/linux-2.4.25.tar.bz2
cd linux-2.4.25/
patch -p1 < ../patch-2.4.25-rc1-kraxel
[Copy Kernel ".config", edit, "make menuconfig" etc.]
make dep; make bzImage; make modules; make modules_install
[install kernel, adjust grub etc.]

cd ..
cvs -z9 -d :pserver:anonymous@linuxtv.org:/cvs/linuxtv co dvb-kernel
cd dvb-kernel/build-2.4
wget http://linuxtv.org/download/dvb/dvb-ttpci-01.fw
make; make install

rm -rf /lib/modules/2.5.25/misc/video-buf.o
rm -rf /lib/modules/2.5.25/misc/v4l1-compat.o
rm -rf /lib/modules/2.5.25/misc/v4l2-common.o

[boot new kernel]
depmod -ae

The "rm"s are not strictly necessary, but since they are already provided by the kernel, you should remove the duplicated modules from misc/.

Now "depmod -ae" does not show any unresolved symbols and I can use "dvb-ttpci". I don't have a bttv card in my workstation, so I cannot test this atm.

CU
Michael.