[linux-dvb] Re: Couple of frontend questions

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> >
> > Why is there an FE_RESET ioctl immediately after the FE_SET_FRONTEND in
> > dvb_frontend_recover.. surely the frontend code itself should take care of
> > performing a reset if it needs to?
>
> FE_RESET does not reset the frontend, it just restarts the
> signal acquisiton algorithms in the demodulator (not all demods
> need you to do that manually). It should be renamed.

Well, that's what I thought, but Holger explained to me that
it does something different (see his mail).

It seems the FE_CAN_RECOVER and FE_CAN_CLEAN_SETUP should be dropped,
and some FE_NEEDS_A_KICK_IN_THE_ASS_TO_RECOVER and
FE_HANGS_IF_WE_DO_NOT_TWIDDLE_SOME_BITS_AFTER_IT_REPORTS_SIGNAL_LOCK
flags should be introduced. Very few frontends actually need these
workarounds.

Johannes